Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Tutorial Tuesday: The girl with the basket - a paper piecing tutorial.

Welcome to another Tutorial Tuesday! Today Amira from Handmade in Oz shows us how to use paper piecing to make a variety of different cards using a single die......

Enjoy!
Aunty V :)





Hi everyone,

I've been having a lot of fun playing with this Impression Obsession Die Set - Girl with Easter Basket. 


But with dies like these, you really need to be able to build a scene around her because, well...let me show you. This is how she comes out when you put her through your die-cutting machine:


I then coloured in the eggs with my markers and slipped them in the little slit in the basket.


Next: Build a scene....





Now, I don't know about you, but I thought she was looking a bit flat and paper-ish so I thought I would give her a little "somethin'-somethin'". 

Have you ever heard of paper piecing?
Cut the die out of patterned paper as before.


Then, using your crafty fussy cutting scissors [every girl should have one ;)], cut around the outline of her dress and then adhere the dress to the previous die-cut.


Next, I used my markers and coloured in her skin a pretty peach color and her hair a light brown as well as the basket.


I used an amazing product called an IrRESISTible Pico Embellisher by Imagine Crafts for the sash of her belt here. The pictures don't do it justice but it brings a raised and smooth finish that adds so much detail to the dress in real life and really lifts your projects to the next level.








Now if you are anything like me, what happens when you miss the Easter deadline? Do you put the die away and bring it out next Easter? I say "no way". You can always alter her so you can use her all year round. 

Like this:


Firstly, I took the basket out of her hands by carefully snipping it off.


And then you can add anything in her hand:


Or keep her basket and fill it with flowers:



This way, you can make cards for all year round. 

Like this one:







Here's another look at all 3 cards:


Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you found inspiration here.

xxAmiraInOz


4 comments:

  1. Great tutorial Amira. I am glad that you did this one after our previous discussion on paper piercing. I love the way you changed her around so she was no longer just an Easter card. Sometimes we can't see the other possibilities, especially with die cuts. Great cards right there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, It continues to surprise me how we end up talking about the same things..it's like you know what Im up to before I tell you..hehe...as I've said before- great minds think alike, or kindred spirits are never far from each other...thanks for your kind words xxA

      Delete
  2. Great tutorial Amira. I am glad that you did this one after our previous discussion on paper piercing. I love the way you changed her around so she was no longer just an Easter card. Sometimes we can't see the other possibilities, especially with die cuts. Great cards right there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Tutorial Amira, I need to get some more dies so I can try this :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...