Saturday, November 28, 2015

Dina Wakely Birds

Hello Crafty Bloggers and Happy Weekend! Down here in Aus, it's the perfect time to sit outdoors, enjoy nature and watch the birds................ which I think has inspired Team designer Amira.....




Dear Reader,

I am in bird heaven at the moment. If you were to ask me what my favourite item in my craft collection is, I would say THIS stamp set!!



It is spring here in Australia. My garden is blooming and the birds are chirping and I am playing with bird stamps. Life is good!!

The first thing I did when I got these stamps was stamp them onto watercolour paper and then I used my Sakura Koi Water Field Sketch Travel Kit to play.


Here is how some turned out.

I just love watercolouring at the moment. The randomness of how the colours flow and the ability to add on more watercolour to intensify the shade is very convenient for a beginner like myself.
I will show you what I did with these birds in a little while.

But first, I want to do these birds justice so I looked for, and FOUND, a tutorial by the artist Dina Wakely herself. You can find that tutorial here.

Oh I am SO pleased!!
Look at what little me could do!! 

Pink Background Acrylic "Song"

These birds are stamped onto watercolour paper and then fussy cut and added to the tag in layers upon layers of goodness!!
Green Background Acrylic "Song"

I used the same technique in both tags but varied the color scheme. I learnt the importance of using white and black ALWAYS with any color scheme you are using be it the background or the image. I also learnt the importance of adding elements such as collage paper, stencils and texture to really bring interest and dimension to your work. The heart on the bird is not my thing- I must give credit to Dina for that..but isn't it gorgeous? I couldn't NOT add a heart.

There is another tutorial that Dina has made where you actually stamp the bird right onto your tag. This tutorial can be found here.

And here are my tags using THAT technique in the same color scheme as above.

Green Acrylic Background "Fancy Hat"
Here, the bird is coloured in with acrylic paints as you need a heavy paint to go onto a heavy acrylic background.  I like the brushstrokes showing because it looks like the bird has ruffled feathers. The hat is not mine. Once again, must give credit to Dina for that one. However, I did stamp out the sentiment onto paper and then separated each word/few words together, dispersed them through the tag and outlined them in black.

Pink Background "Green Bough"
 In this pink background tag, I stamped the entire sentiment straight onto the tag. I feel the tag is a little bit empty and that the sentiment does not really stand out. Hmmm, a work in progress still I think!

 Now remember the water color birds from the beginning of the post? Here is what I did with them.

I saw this gorgeous Pocket letter on the Facebook Group and I knew I had to try and reproduce the construction (although mine turned out a little differently). 

I have had it sitting on my desk for a month not knowing what to do with it. 
They were waiting for the bird inspiration. 

Here is the front:


And here is the inside:


I did use a few die-cuts from the KaiserCraft Botanica Range.





Here it is one more time in full:



Thank you so much for joining me. I hope this has given you some inspiration to get your bird stamps out and have a play.
Until next time, happy crafting.
xxAmiraInOz


Thank you Amira! Such beautiful birdie tags and pockets.... I love them all!!
Aunty Vera :)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...