Tuesday, January 19, 2016

To express or not to express

Hello friends!
Today on the blog we look at faceless stamps......... and the possibility of giving them expressions.
Team Designer Amira had fun (and I suspect I'm using that word loosely...lol) experimenting with Julie Nutting's Expressions stamps.
Take a look at the results.......



Dear Crafty Readers,

I have been watching these cute expression stamps by Julie Nutting and have been wondering how wonderful they really are and so it was with great interest that I recently got one!!
Here is what they look like in their packaging.


And here they are all stamped out:


I must say they are very very cute!!

So I was SO EXCITED to break out my Julie Nutting Doll Stamps and get to making some awesome dolls.

 But I soon realised that there was a problem!!
Look!!!
The expressions are as big and even bigger than the dolls face!!

You can see it before you start stamping!



 The clear acrylic sheet the stamps are mounted on also have the expression printed on them so you can align the "expression" to see how it will look like before you stamp it.


 Hmmmmm.....



 Lets try a different doll and lets try stamping anyway.
Here is Nikki...


Oh my! She looks like a clown I'm afraid.
Next expression...


Nope..that doesn't work either.
NEXT!


No!

Lets try a different doll.
Here is Megan ...


That hair style is just not conducive to these expressions!!


Which is why I went back to Morgan with her hair swept back behind her head band.


I think it works. Just barely.
Those eye brows though!
I don't like them all the way up there!

This expression fits within her face but.....
 I think its her mouth.
It makes her look clownish!

Now believe it or not, the expressions worked really well on the boy stamp Aidan!


The boy stamps have larger heads and so the expressions fit very well within the face.



Problem is, the expressions are female-like (long eyelashes and pouty lips) so unless Aidan is going to be used as a girl, I really don't think they will work well on him!


 Even Mermaid Sally wasn't impressed!



Mermaid Sally: Seriously??
Artist Amira: Ok alright, I was just testing it!

This expression fits her face although, it doesn't fit the elegant demeanour she portrays in my head.

So this got me thinking, just because they are Julie Nutting Stamp Expressions doesn't mean they should solely be used on Julie Nutting Stamps right?

I mean, could I use them on another girl stamp?
Say like this one over here?


I realise I should tread carefully here.
These Gorjuss girls are beloved by so many people (many of my friends in fact) and I may offend some of them if I make these girls look bad.

Lets see how they fair.


Oh dear!! She looks too sad.
I didn't try TOO hard to remove her existing eyes since this was just a quick trial but I don't know how I feel about it. 
I always imagine these Gorjuss girls to be so upbeat 
but this expression makes her look upsetting :(

Lets try the next one:


SO different than how I am used to seeing her looking.

Next expression (I tried really hard to erase the existing eyes here):


So hard to decide...What do you think???

Personally, I think the best way to use these expressions is to draw your own character like this cute munchkin below.


That way, you don't have conflicting feelings like I did with my pre-existing and well loved stamps whether they be Julie Nutting or Gorjuss.

Do you have these expression stamps?
How do you use them?
I'd love to know.
Please leave a comment below.
Thanks for stopping by...
xxAmiraInOz


2 comments:

  1. What fun you had Amira!!
    I wonder if these Expressions stamps were designed for the older Doll stamps? They seem to have bigger faces.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could possible be Vera...this was such a hoot of a blog! Should have done it on video because i was giggling all the way!! xxA

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...