Saturday, August 5, 2017

Creativity Takes Courage - Amira's Mixed Media Project for Creative Papercraft Magazine

Hello Crafty Friends!!

Have you seen the latest issue of Creative Papercraft magazine?


Issue 5 is especially exciting as it features projects from 2 of our fabulous Team members.... Donna and Amira.
Amira joins us today with step by step instructions to create her gorgeous Creativity Takes Courage mixed media canvas...


So grab a cuppa.... and your art supplies! And enjoy!....




Step 1: My base product is a sheet of A4 canvas paper (Creativ- Kmart).
I also used a decorated napkin (from Target) which I separated to a single layer.


Step 2: Add PVA glue over the entire page.



Step 3: Lay your single layer over the glue ensuring you get creases and folds (this adds texture to your project). Allow to dry.




Step 4: Apply gesso with a dry brush so that it lightly dulls the colors but allows the pattern of the decorated napkin to show through. Allow to dry.



Step 5: Mix your choice of acrylic paint (Sullivans- Lime Green) (with a lot of water and apply it to the top of your page and with a sprayer full of water, encourage it to flow all down the page. Allow to dry.


Step 6: With another color of acrylic paint (Kasiercolor - Hot Pink), repeat. Allow to dry.



Step 7: Apply butterfly washi tape (Kaisercraft: Butterflies, Music Notes and Script Washi Tape Trio) to opposite corners of your page. 



Step 8: Apply gesso with a palette knife to incorporate the washi into the background.


Step 9: Apply texture paste through a stencil (Dina Wakeley) using a palette knife. Allow to dry.


Step 10: Using Gel medium, adhere a paper doily (Little Paper Bicycle) to the centre of the page (covering the line where the 2 colors meet) and allow to dry.

Step 11: Apply texture paste once again, this time with another stencil (12x12 Kaisercraft), making sure you overlap it on top of the doily as well as the washi tape creating yet more layers. Allow to dry.


Step 12: Spray Heidi Shine Gold Mist in an area where you want the texture paste to remain white.



Step 13: Spray Dyan Reaveley Ink Spray "Bubblegum" and Heidi Swapp Color Shine "Citreon" on the areas of texture paste to match the underlying acrylic paint colors used.


Step 14: To the bottom left corner of the page, apply a double layer of off-set trellis die cut (Sizzix Frameworks) using gel medium.


Step 15: And add clear sequins and seed beads so they adhere to the gel medium.


Step 16: To the top left corner of the page, adhere lace using gel medium.


Step 17: For my focal point, I chose this dressmaker's die-cut from Kaisercraft. I die-cut it out of black card stock and then sprayed it with multiple layers of the bubblegum ink spray and citron color shine so that it matched my background. The other die-cut is a from a Thinlits set called Scribbles and Splat by Sizzix. The rest of the centre piece is a collection from an old ephemera pack.


Step 18: I layered the centre cluster with a die-cut wood frame (Amy Tangerine) which I heat embossed with VersaMark and Ranger's super fine detail gold embossing powder.

I also added this wooden icon (MSPCI- Summer/ Shades of Sorbet) which had the perfect sentiment. 


To this icon, I stamped it with Versamark and added a few layers of Ultra Thick Embossing Powder to which I sprinkled a thick coat of Ranger Perfect Pearls 'Berry Twist' to give it a beautiful shine and color. 

I also tucked a real feather and a gold foiled vellum leaf under the wooden icon and dripped some gold Color Shine on top of the cluster.


Step 19: I found the perfect sentiment that became the name of this project and to remind me that creating beautiful art takes courage. This is a throw away strip from a previous Graphic 45 paper collection which I mounted to thick card board and inked the edges.


Step 20: I applied Nuvo Glimmer Paste with a palette knife using the first stencil over a few areas that seemed a little sparse. (Before applying the Nuvo I did stamp sparse places with a Background script stamp by Kaisrcraft and Ranger's Archival Ink in Jet Black)



Step 21: Finally, I added a few die-cut wood veneer embellishments (Rosie's Studio) to each opposing corners of the project.  To these, I also stamped with Versamark and heat embossed with gold embossing powder (I also added a lacey die-cut under the top scroll because I just cant help adding one more thing).

And there you have it!
Creativity takes Courage- Never Give Up!


I love how you can still see elements of the decorated napkin from step 1 and the beautiful butterfly washi. 
I also love the sequins and the seed beads trapped in the trellis groves. 
And I love the soft movement of the feather and the gold flecks of color shine on the bright white.
And most of all, I love how feminine yet bold strength this whole piece evokes.
Long live girl power and sparkle!
xx AmiraInOz















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...