Monday, November 27, 2017

My Crafty Friend: Lolly's Upcycled Wooden Box

Hello Crafty Friends!
I just love it when our Crafty Friend Lolly uses the Monthly Kit for an upcycle project. I'm always blown away at the difference between the before and after views. Today Lolly takes a very ordinary wooden box and transforms it into a totally gorgeous Crafty Friend treasure box.... well I think it's a treasure box!


Remember how I said I adore boxes?   I asked myself if two box projects in one month was too much.  Nah!   Let's go for it!  I wanted to use the stamp in this month's kit, but I wanted to use it in a way that would frame it and make it the centerpiece of a project, so I shopped my stash -- my big bin of projects-to-upcycle.



 I had this wooden box and thought it would be perfect to showcase that stamp.


I removed the image that came with the box and used two coats of white chalk paint, sealing with a clear wax finish.



 I have used so much of this kit's paper that I no longer have one piece large enough to mat this stamped image, so I layered strips of my leftover papers to make a mat.  I think I prefer this over a single paper anyway!


I colored the image in with Prismacolor pencils.  I needed a super fine point to color the tiny parts, and I didn't think markers would be a good choice.


For the inside, on the bottom of the box I cut out a thin piece of cardboard and lined it with fabric to make a pretty new bottom.  On the left side (the inside of the lid), I layered denim colored card stock with a strip of paper from the kit, and I added a real denim pocket (using Heat-N-Bond).  I put some cute papers in the pocket, and on the top left of the paper I added the stamped sentiment from the kit.   I fixed this paper to the inside of the lid with Fabri-Tac.  It's perfect!  That denim pocket makes me so happy!


At first, I wasn't sure that I wanted to embellish the outside of the box:


But the next day I decided to include  ribbon and flowers from the kit, and I'm glad I did.  They add a splash of color that helps the image to pop.



I have a short video about the process HERE.

These kits were so popular that they are selling quickly.  You'll want to see if there are any more, by checking HERE.

Thank you, my crafty friend, for looking at my upcycle.

~Lolly
http://www.LollyPalooza.net


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...