Friday, September 29, 2017

See You in the Craftroom: Lolly's Gorjuss Coloring

Hello Crafty Friends!

What a fantastic day to end the week.... more GORJUSSness!! Today Lolly colours the Little Fishes Gorjuss girl. And have a look at what she does to bring the water to life... SO clever!




When I saw this Gorjuss girl stamp in the September kit, I knew I had to color her with Copic markers!


It's a bit intimidating coloring these stamps, because the photos are already so perfect!  How can my work compare? It's a nail-biting experience, but worth it!   I took my time and colored her all in one sitting.



You can see my notes in the margins above.  I was trying to keep track of the markers I used in the process, and sometimes I tested the values of similar colors.   Once I was done, I decided to frame her (thanks, Vera, for the idea), but I knew that I wanted a little something more for the water around her feet, so why not use acetate?  It would be difficult to cut the acetate the perfect shape, so I got out my light pad and traced the top margin of the water onto a sheet of printer paper.  Once I had that done, I lined up a sheet of acetate over that and taped it in place so that I could use the printer paper tracing as a guide to cut the acetate.


It worked well!    The acetate fits perfectly around the margins of the rock and her legs!


The overall image is rather large, so I needed a frame with an opening about 5.25" X 6" and didn't have any metal dies that size.  So I went to my Silhouette Design Studio to make a frame.  I ended up making a double frame, sort of like a photo mat, with the inner frame peeking through.  I wanted to see if I would like the dimensions, so I put the photo of my project into my SDS work area and created a mock-up of what the finished framed piece could look like:


I loved it sooo much, so I found the card stock I wanted to use:  solid black for the bottom layer, and a polka dot from Bo Bunny for the top.


I used Scotch Tacky glue to adhere the two.


Then I used my ATC to adhere the frame to the picture -- I knew liquid glue would not work over the acetate.  Once I did that, I had to cover the back, so I cut a back panel on the Cameo to match the exact dimensions.


Then on the front, I added tiny red rick rack (with FabriTac) and a sentiment (with Glossy Accents) that I die cut from black foam.  The foam really makes letters pop!



Can you "SEA" how the acetate makes that water come alive?

One day I might actually film the process of Copic coloring, but I'm a newbie, and there are many excellent Copic colorers on YouTube where we can learn techniques.

I squealed when I saw this stamp in the kit, and I know you will squeal, too, so hurry up and grab one HERE.

If you are a Copic colorer and want to know which Sketch markers I used, I have compiled a list:

FISH:   YG11,  G12,  G000
SEAWEED:   G99, G94,  YG67
RED DRESS:   R24, R29, R39
WATER:   BG11,  BG0000
HAIR:   C4, C5, C7
BLUE DRESS:   B14, B37, B41
ROCK:  E70, E74,  E79
SKIN:  E000, E00,  E21,   R20 (blush)


SEA you next time,
Lolly
http://www.LollyPalooza.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...