Wednesday, July 3, 2019

On Such a Winter's Day - Wendy's Ephemera Storage Folder

Hello Crafty Friends!
Winter time is such a great crafting and arting time - staying snug and warm inside and creating.... maybe with a hot chocolate by your side..... doesn't that sound perfect?
Kicking off our month of winter projects is Wendy's ephemera storage folder - I really need some of these in my life!!





Ephemera Storage Folder

Where I live in Australia, we really don't have the full effect of the cold cold winter, that others experience around our beautiful country. We have cool and cooler days and slightly cooler nights. So, I have always found it rather hard to relate to making winter crafts or painting scenes. To me when someone mentions winter, I think of the winter of Christmas from overseas. I would love to experience that snowy Christmas one day.

Anyway, with the theme of winter staying in the forefront of my mind, I decided to make an easy Ephemera Storage Folder. Somewhere to keep all your little bits'n'piece and something to fill with ephemera and send it as a gift to a crafty friend. 

Above: Ephemera Storage Folders


Here is what I used to make the folders:
* One 12x12 piece of Authentique Solitude Six paper
* Authentique Solitude Elements sheet for decorating
* 6 pieces of A4 125gsm grey shade paper and/or coffee dyed paper
* Aunty Vera washi - Silver Lights
* Eyelet Outlet Snowflake Brads
* PVA craft and hobby glue
* Jute Twine
* Small snowflake Die from Kaisercraft Snow Crystal Die Set
* an awl
* White Embossing powder by Ranger


Okay, so let's get started.....

Starting with making the cover of the folder. I used the 'Solitude Six' piece of 12x12 and cut it down to 11 inches by 8 1/2 inches. Then with the long side at the top of my scoreboard I scored at 4 1/4; 4 1/2; 8 3/4 and then at 9 1/4.


I then placed that to the side for a moment and grabbed the A4 sheets of paper. I cut them to 8 1/4 inches square. I really only had to cut the length from them because that was there width already. I just made sure they were square in shape. I folded each individual sheet in half, which is going to give me my inside pockets.



Once I cut my six inside papers down to square and folded them in half, I then used Aunty Vera's Washi, Silver Lights to tape up the sides of each folded piece of paper. Thus, giving me my completed pocket.

When I had all my pockets made by using the washi at bothe sides, I glued down the center of each pocket and adhered each pocket together. So they are joined at the center and not the ends. They look like the picture below when opened out.


Then going back to the folder cover. I glued down one side of the pockets, with the opening to the top flap of the cover. Making sure I didn't glue over the scored lines.

Then going to the front outside of the cover, I marked and made a hole with my awl, where I wanted to put my closure. The closure is a punch 1 inch circle with the snowflake brad pushed through it. I tied a length of jute twine on the backside of the brad stems and put a dab of glue on it so it doesn't come apart. Then just placed the completed brad closure through the hole I marked on the front outside of the cover. I placed a small strip of the Silver Lights washi over the metal parts of the brads. Just so they wouldn't mark the side of the first pocket.


I then put glue on the first pocket and folded over the front of the cover, making sure not to get glue on the small spine part of the cover.


When I finished putting the storage folder together. I decorated the front of each folder using the Solitude Elements, the small snowflake die from Kaisercraft and also handmaking an 'Ephermera' sign for my folders.


I pre-cut some snowflakes out of pale blue cardboard from my supplies but wanted them white. So, I used the Ranger White Embossing Powder on them and they turned out so well. Really looks like piles of snow on them.
My handwritten 'Ephemera" sign written with Aunty Veras' Pen.

You may like to watch the video of my process here:




I really enjoyed making my first 'Winter' themed project for Aunty Vera's Creative Team this much, so much so, I made an extra two and these two will be given away to two lucky winners that have left a comment down below this blog post. The lucky winners will each recieve one of my Ephemera Storage Folders which will have a few bits'n'pieces added in the pockets throughtout the month. Winners will be drawn at the end of July 2019. So leave a comment below to enter.






Thank you all!...and have a good day!

19 comments:

  1. Oh Wendy, you have done it again. Blown my mind with your lovely ephemera folders. I love the way you have done the snowflakes. It is my dream to have a white Christmas one year too. I always sing 'I'm dreaming of a White Christmas', as I write out my Chrissie cards each year. LOL Cheers, Deb xxxooo p.s. Thank you for the opportunity to win one of your beautiful creations and Good Luck to all. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Deb. LOL, I may have to join you with your singing, lol xox

      Delete
  2. I love your Ephemera Storage Folder Wendy, they are a great idea. The papers are gorgeous. I also would love to experience a snowy Christmas. My husband has been in Germany a week before Christmas for work and it was magical with the Christmas night markets. I can’t wait to go one day. 💞💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Tina. Maybe one day I will experience a snowy Christmas xox

      Delete
  3. Brilliant as always Wendy, My list has another project on it now lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Donna. I'm slowly getting my list down, heehee! xox

      Delete
  4. Love these wonderful ideas you come up with and the papers are so lovely. Don’t need snow to feel like it’s winter. I’m already praying for summer. It’s been a cold one this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amira. We haven't had many cold days but I, too, am a summer kind of girl...lol xox

      Delete
  5. These are soooo awesome Wendy, gotta love Vera's pens she pops in with your orders and those snowflakes turned out so well - oh, and I love your handwriting too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Emily. I should have a big collection of Verra's pens by now but all the family keep grabbing them. They are lovely to write with xox

      Delete
  6. Beautiful project Wendy. I really miss snowy Christmases and yes Tina the Christmas markets are so beautiful. This gorgeous collection brings back lovely memories although I'm with Amira, I am so over this winter already with the kids constantly getting sick

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely ephemera pockets Wendy! The finished product looks a lot more complex than they actually are to make. Will be making some of these for future happy mails :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nat, they do look stunning from such a simple process xox

      Delete
  8. Hi Wendy - this is such a lovely way to keep ephemera handy and organized. I love the idea of adding goodies to it and sending it out as Happy Mail. Very pretty and very inspiring - thank you!!! Hugs xx Janet Baum

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Wendy, Guess I misunderstood where to leave a comment. Lol. Tfs your pocket folders. Great idea and process. Very simple.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Winners of the giveaway were Emily Shroom and AmiraInOz. After talking with Amira, she graciously would like her ephemera folder passed on...hubby picked another winner who was Deb...thank you to all the ladies who participated xox

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...