Friday, January 3, 2020

Beautiful Day - Sue's Paper Bag Junk Journal






Hi Everyone,
My name is Sue.  I am very excited to be part of the Aunty Vera Scrap & Craft Design Team and to be honest extremely nervous. Normally for my art I do whatever takes my fancy and use whatever I have or can get my hands on so, this is certainly going to be a challenge.  So please be kind to me!

My first project I decided had to be a journal, and a simple one at that, a paper bag junk journal.
Having made that decision I then had to decide on what paper I should choose for my cover and what to decorate it with (Actually that was easy, I already knew the Prima flowers would be on the front). 

Here is what I chose from my first box of goodies. 





Along with a few tea dyed papers old book pages, some plain cream paper, some grid paper, and of course a paper lunch bag, I was ready to begin.
  

Step 1, fold the paper bag in half.

 

After selecting the paper for the cover, I cut it to fit the paper bag.  I also cut a small strip to insert
into the open part of the paper bag.  Not only is this decorative but gives the bag a little support,
so it can be used as a pocket. I also chose another scrapbook paper to cover the inside (Back of Portrait paper -  no picture).


I decided to use one of the cut a parts from the back of the perennial sheet.  I added some small dots
around the edge for more interest. This piece will be on my cover.


Onto the papers. After measuring the size I needed - based on the paper bag size, I cut all my papers and folded them in half.




I clipped them all together in the order I wanted – tea dyed, book page, tea dyed etc.




Before sewing the signature in I decided I needed some lace on the spine.  I used the cream
Santoro lace and glued it in place with craft glue.



Using an awl (commonly known as a pokey tool) I poked holes through the signature and
cover in three places. Be careful not to move them, It’s a good idea to use some bull dog clips to hold
everything in place. The first hole is  about 1.5 cms from the top, another about 1.5 cm from
the bottom and finally one about half way.



Using some embroidery thread I began in the centre hole, poking from the inside to the outside. Then back in the outside top hole right down to the bottom inside hole.  Then back to the outside middle hole.  Be careful not to poke through the thread already there.  Making sure your two ends are either side of the thread tie a double (or triple) knot.

Finally came the decorating of the cover. I originally used craft glue but found I needed the hot
glue gun to glue the flowers in place.
 
I also glued a small pocket on the inside cover using the same paper from the front.  I added some
buttermilk Nuvo drops in a couple of places. A little vintage photo distress ink around all the edges
and you have yourself a simple paper bag, junk journal that could also be a gift.

You can watch my process video HERE

Sue xx 
 

11 comments:

  1. How exciting, congratulations on your first CT project for Aunty Vera!!! It has turned out beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nat. The next blog/video is a follow up of the tags etc I made to go in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!!!
    I need to get started on my mine. Am going to play along with you Sue 💕💕💕

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, congratulations hun on your first blog with AVSC..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Donna. Wasn't quite as difficult as I first imagined.

      Delete
  5. I love this simple little journal Sue. It’s a perfect reminder of how easy it can be to make a beautiful journal without overthinking things. Love it. 🌸Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your first project Sue. This is wonderful. 💕💕

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...