Monday, December 10, 2018

He's Making a List - Suzanne's Altered Cotton Reel Christmas Ornaments

Hello Crafty Peeps!
We have some fun for you today as Suzanne alters some cotton reels to create beautiful Christmas ornaments!



Ho, ho, how cute is the December (He's Making a List) kit from Aunty Vera Scrap and Craft.  I absolutely love the beautiful papers from Carta Bella with matching ephemera and all the other gorgeous products that have been included in this kit. 

Today, my project involves the gorgeous Dress It Up buttons from the kit and the scrumptious Inka Gold Aquamarine paint.  I'm making two altered cotton reel Christmas ornaments.  I have made these before and they are so much fun and look so cute.

The cotton reels are from a Christmas wreath that I purchased from Spotlight after Christmas a few years ago for a few dollars. They were covered with red wool which I removed and then painted with the Inka Gold paint.



I then covered the spool with some Christmas material which I tore at the same height as the reel then frayed the top and bottom so that the frayed ends splayed out over the top and bottom lips of the reel.



I then added a cord with a large pearl bead to the top so that my ornament can hang on the tree.



I used hot glue in the well at the top of the reel and pushed some of the cord down into the hole.



When I had enough of the cord pushed into the well, I put a last spot of hot glue on top so that the large pearl could be stuck there to cover that area.



I used the gorgeous 'Dress It Up" buttons that were in the kit to decorate the reels.  I used Glossy Accents and hot glue to attach the buttons to the reel.  I also cut the back off of the buttons.  I added some of my own buttons from my stash for the decorations.



I added Diamond Dust to the top and the bottom lip.





This is the second one I made with the buttons from the kit




These are my two finished altered cotton reels




Thanks for having a look.

You can see a short process video here.
You can purchase the kit here.
Merry Christmas.
Suzanne. xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Wow these are so gorgeous Suzanne. Wish i could pluck them out of the screen and put them on my tree

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s awesome.
    Great step by step instructions. I might have to scraplift this one and put it on my todo list 😍😍

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...