Saturday, March 16, 2019

Your Cloud's in My Sky - Gina's 3x3 Mini Album / Journal

Hello Crafty Friends!
If you love mini albums, junk journals and mini books, then you will adore Gina's autumn themed mini album/journal today. Such a lovely project that you can use for so many different occasions. I hope you'll be inspired to create one too!





Hope everyone is having a lovely "autumn" so far :) Google tells me that its going to cool down sometime in the middle of next week so fingers crossed.

This week I am going to share my take on the 3x3 mini album. The construction is exactly the same but instead of sticking the pages together, I made pockets in between them. When I shared this with my junk journal community they loved it and has since then been adapted as a mini junk journal as well, therefore the title.

To start with I took the Graphic 45 "Autumn" and "Autumn Collective" and cut out the elements from one and went crazy fussy cutting the other one.


Using the "Autumn Collective" paper, I cut off the little strip at the bottom and then scored it at 3", 6" and 9". I turned the paper once and scored again at 3", 6", and 9". Burnish the scored lines. If you don't have a scoreboard (I didn't until a few months back), you can fold the paper in half and then fold again. Open it up, turn once and then fold in half and half again. You will end up with the same 16 scored squares.


The next step is to cut the scored line between the first 3 squares, starting from the bottom, leaving the last square untouched. Then turn it over 180 degrees and starting from the bottom again cut the centre scored line between the squares. Turn it over once again and, starting from the bottom, cut the last scored line between the 3 squares. The paper once cut will have a "W" shape.


Now we will fold the paper in an accordion fold all the way to the end. Since I want to use the side with the flowers, my first fold will have the other side on top, so the paper that is under my bone folder in the previous picture will fold up and over. We are going to be making alternating top and side pockets between the pages so once folded have a look at your book to make sure which side needs to be in front so that the pockets are alternating. You can watch the video on how I made it here


Leaving the first page, we will glue the side and the bottom edges between the second and third pages to make a top pocket. I also put a strip of washi tape on the the top of the cover page so if I get confused, I know which is the front.


Next we will glue the back and the top edges between the fourth and fifth pages to make a side pocket.


We keep this up all the way to the end so we have alternating top and side pockets. The last page, like the first will have covers stuck to them so they do not make pockets.




Once I finished the pockets, I stuck a strip of ribbon around the book. That will be my closure.


Next I took 2 pieces of chipboard and cut them at 31/4" x 31/4". I covered them with the 4" cut outs from the Graphic 45 "Autumn" paper. On the other side I covered up the white space with a piece of green cardstock cut at 3.15"x 3.15"


I then stuck one to the front cover and one to the back, aligning them so they were in the same place.


Now to decorate the pages. I used the sunflowers and the stamp that I fussy cut as tuck spots so I've put glue on the left and the bottom of the sunflowers and the top and the right of the stamp. I stuck the "Autumn" sentiment on a piece of green cardstock and then stuck it to the top of the page on the left.


I also fussy cut some elements from the Echo Park "Fall is Fun" Paper and the cover page of the "Celebrate Autumn"kit which I've used in this mini. On the third page, I used the "Fall is in the Air" sentiment and inked the edges with my red ink pad. I stuck the beautiful Jolee's maple leaves at the bottom to finish it off. On the right I've used one of the strips I cut from the Echo Park cover page as a belly band and stuck and owl that I fussy cut in the middle of it.



On page 5, I've stuck the harvest sentiment at the top. I've put glue on the sides and the top to make it a tuck spot and on the bottom corner I stuck some of my fussy cut papers. On the next page, I've stuck a piece of yellow cardstock cut at 2 1/4" x 2 1/4". Over that I've stuck the imagine sentiment and one of my fussy cut images to make another tuck spot.


I've stuck another strip of yellow cardstock on page 7 and used the last of my Jolee's maple leaves as a tuck spot. On the right I've stuck one of the Echo Park sentiments that I cut out. I've put glue on the top and the bottom to make it a sort of belly band where you can slide something in.


On pages 9 and 10 I've stuck a strip from the Graphic 45 paper all the way across to make 2 belly bands. I've put one of my fussy cut flowers in one of the bands.


Next I cut a piece again from the cover page at about 2.5" x 2.5" to make a pocket so I've glued the sides and the bottom edges and I've stuck one of those lovely Echo Park stickers on top of it. On page 12 I've used another piece of yellow cardstock cut at 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" and on the side I've stuck the green Santoro leaf ribbon. I've stuck one of the fussy cut sunflowers over it at the bottom.


I wanted to make a pocket on the next page so I cut out the Autumn Blessings from one of the 3x4 journalling cards and glued the edges of the sides and the bottom to make a pocket. I stuck 2 of the fussy cut sunflowers on there as well. For the next page I made 2 banners, one at 2 x 0.75" and one at 1.5 x 1" from the off cuts of the previous project and stuck a tiny piece from the Graphics 45 paper on top of it.


On the last 2 pages, I used more of my fussy cut images and stuck them both so that they are tuck spots as well and stuck the word harvest on the top corner of the last page.


I then went back to the cover page and added a little fussy cut butterfly above the bird and a piece of that beautiful Prima Mirabeau Floral Lace in the bottom corner.


And to complete the journal, I used the cut aparts from the graphic 45 paper for the top pockets and die cut 3 tags from the Echo Park papers for the side pockets. I decided not to add any layering as the book is quite bulky by now but if that's what you prefer go for it :). Here's the video of how I decorated the pages.


If you've made it all the way to the end thank you for following along. This is a simple project that can be done in a day so would love to see any that you make. I love to make them as gifts and I think they would be a lovely idea for craft fairs as well.

Till next week,
Stay awesome
Gina x

1 comment:

  1. I love mini journals, and I Have made a few myself. My biggest issue is it takes me a while to understand process. Delightful, cute book Gina.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...