Monday, June 15, 2020

The Place Where I Belong - Wendy's Home Decor Puffy Paper Hearts



HOME DECOR


PUFFY PAPER HEARTS

With this months theme, The Place Where I Belong, I seem to have gotten a feel for making some sort of hearts. I love hearts! The shape is soothing to me and the thought behind a heart to me is enchanting.  I recently made a few material hearts to hang on my window curtain in my craft room and I love gazing up at them while crafting...it seems to calm me...this gave me an idea to try to make some paper hearts...puffy ones...that I could hang around my room as well.



These paper puffy hearts are so easy to make and they look adorable hanging together.

I started with a piece of photocopy paper and folded it in half. I drew one side of a heart on it and then cut it out from the fold. When you unfold the paper, you have a symetrical heart shape...so easy! You can then use this heart template to draw around on your patterned paper.


I used three different patterned papers from the Farmhouse Market collection. Once cut out, I then grabbed my stylus and a small foam pad. With the pattern of the paper I wanted showing facing down, I started to manipulate the paper with my stylus. I gently marked about a quarter of an inch from the side all the way around the shape. Then inside that mark, I gentle started pressing on the paper with my stylus in a rotating motion.
This pushes the paper out and gives it an dome  type of shape on the outside. The paper curls slightly.


When you have both pieces in a dome shape, you place a bead of wet glue on the small edge from the side of the heart. I started from the bottom point and went up either side to about an inch from the top of the heart. I then used quite a few clamps to hold the sides together until the glue dried.


At this point, I opened up the heart and filled the middle of it with some wadding. I had bought a bag of pillow stuffing from an op shop and decided to use it in the hearts. Adding this wadding in the middle of the hearts gives it some stability, so the paper sides will not be pushed in. It will stay puffy.


At this time, I also add a length of thin string. I push the string to the bottom point of my heart, so I know it won't be pulled out easy. I push the filling down, place glue along the top edges of the heart, keeping the filling inside and then clamp the remainder of the heart together. Making sure my string is centered and adding a little extra glue around the string for added security.


I leave my hearts for the glue to completely dry, for around two hours, the longer the better.

I wanted to slightly decorate my hearts but when you make them you can decorate them to your 'hearts desire'...heehee!

I had word letters already cut that I hadn't used, so I decided to use this sweet saying on my hearts...HOME SWEET HOME...
These letters were cut from the Grunge Alpha Die Set using brown card stock.


I also glued a few paper layered flowers in the top corners of each of the hearts.



flowers glued on the opposite side from the top heart

I also glued a flat back pearl to the center front and back of each heart.


I grabbed each of the hearts strings and held them where I wanted them to hang. I tied a knot with all three strings. Then tied a pink and a brown ribbon around the strings for added decoration.
I had also made a smaller set of hearts in the same style puffy paper heart. So it's really up to you to decide on a size and shape for your heart. You'd be surprised how fast you can make them and they look so lovely when they hang together.



You may like to watch the process video below:


These puffy paper hearts look fabulous hanging on a wall, a door knob or from your special place and I hope you will try them for yourself. They are fun to make.

***Please take note that the Farmhouse Market collection papers are perfect for this project as the paper is thick enough that it won't rip or tear when you are manipulating it with the stylus.***

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
Wendy xox

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...