Saturday, March 21, 2020

Dog Days Are Over - Wendy's Art Journal Page



DOG DAYS ARE OVER

ART JOURNAL PAGE

I decided to have some fun playing and experimenting with a few of the items from Aunty Vera Scrap and Craft this month. I had this idea in my head on making an art journal page but after doing a very cool background, my first plan got scrapped...lol...
Do you ever find that happenng to you? At first I wanted to use the stamp set Puppy Dog Tails from Dylusions and I had already stamped out those gorgeous looking dogs and coloured them...but...they just didn't work on my journal page background...so it was back to the drawing board, so to speak...lol




I used my paper doll journal, it still has a few blank pages in it and I really wanted to fill them up.

Starting to play, I painted my pages with a coat of gesso. Then brought out the Distress Oxides Squeezed Lemonade, Worn Lipstick and Mermaid Lagoon. This was my first time using these oxides so experimenting was a good choice. I dabbed each of the coloured oxides onto a pieces of acetate and gave it a squirt with my water bottle. Starting from the lightest colour Squeezed Lemonade, I dabbed the acetate with colour on to my pages. I did this with each colour consecutively until I was happy with the amount of colour on the pages. 


Now, I was really enjoying my play time which is why I forgot to stop and take more photos. I do appologise for that. 

When  the amount of colour, from the Distress oxides, was right for me, I picked up a black marker and decided to squiggle around the shapes that had been made from pressing the oxides on the page with the acetate. This really gave me much delight! I added another dimension to my background which I really loved. So much so, that I was quite happy not to continue any further on the pages...lol.
At this stage, I took my book outside and sprayed a sealer over the oxided background.
I left my pages on my table for the night and came back to them the next morning. Hmmmm...not sure if that was a mistake or not because I still wanted to NOT add anything else to the pages...lol.

The images from Dylusions Puppy Dog Tails I had stamped the day before were really not giving me any joy. I had coloured them the night before and when I placed them on my background, they got completely lost....hmmmmm,...NOT HAPPY JAN!

Anyway I decided to put the pre-stamped and coloured images to the side and draw and make myself up my own little puppy dog. I grabbed some recycled cardboard and a pencil and drew my own quirky or whimsical puppy dog.

I kept each part of the dog seperate: the body, the head, the ears, the hind legs, the front legs, nose and lastly the eyes. I drew and then cut out each part of the dog. I used the Echo Park I Love My Dog pattern papers (the scraps left from the previous project) and covered each dog part. Just mixing and matching until I liked what I saw. 


I went round the edge of each piece with a black marker and then glued the pieces together and there you have him...my doggy! Poor thing I still haven't named him...lol lol

When I brought my journal back in front of me, I felt something was still missing from my page so I added a border. I used a piece of the Echo Park Co-ordinating paper in red and cut a few strips of border in a zaggard style. I then glued that on to the edge of my pages.



Once the border was in place, I grabbed another off cut of the Echo Park I Love my Dog patterned paper and hand drew my theme title for the month...DOG DAYS ARE OVER...
I used a ruler for the letter height and when done cut them out.



I also used my black marker and edged each letter. I glued my title on the left side of my layout and then used foam tape with a bit of wet glue and placed my doggy on the right hand side of my layout.


My red border was still looking a little drab to me so I used my black marker and edged it and then I also added some black circles around the red border....liked that much better with some spots

You can see the whole process of this cute layout come together in the video below:


Don't forget the little competition going on at Crafty Vera and Friends facebook group...
--CATS VERSUS DOGS--

GO THE DOGGIES!!!

You all have a great doggy day!

Wendy xox

1 comment:

  1. Yep GO DOGS.. like this page heaps and think your dowg is fantastic x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...