Tuesday, April 16, 2019

The Life Within The Seed - Wendy's Egg Shaped Bead Dangle

Hello Crafty Friends!
WOW! I so love Wendy's project today.... DIY egg shaped beads that she uses to make a pretty dangle. I can see this becoming a bit of an addiction!!




Hello Everyone!
  My project for Aunty Vera this time round is one of my all time favourite projects. I love, love, love making layered paper beads. Handmade beads are just a perfect addition to any handmade journals or even using them by hanging them from your handbag or even on a key ring, they just look so dang pretty!

WHAT I USED:
*Outside In Easter Egg Stackables from Lawn Fawn (The smallest die, just the perfect size)
*PVA glue
*Paint colour of your choice for edging
*A selection of BoBunny 'Cottontail' Pattern Papers
*Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
*A length of chain
*Jump rings
*Recycled beads from an old necklace as an added interest
*Recycled cardboard
*Flat Head pins

Did I happen to mention this project is one of my all time favourite projects to make!!! Heehee!!

I started by cutting out the smallest egg die shape from the Lawn Fawn Outside In Easter Egg Stackables. And when I say cut out, I mean heaps and heaps and heaps of the egg shape from the recycled cardboard.

For each bead you need 6 egg die cuts from recycled cardboard and 2 die cuts from the BoBunny patterned papers. The six pieces form the center of the bead and the two are placed on the outside of the bead.

You start by gluing two pieces of the recycled cardboard egg shapes together, so in the end you will have 3 pieces of the recycled egg shape. Using the die is so easy because you always have the exact same shape which makes it easier to stack on top of each other.

When you have your three pieces of two, you have a top, middle and a bottom of your bead. Grabbing the middle piece you need to cut a slither from the center of the egg shape. Big enough so when it is glued together you are able to thread a piece of wire or a piece of your chosen thread through it. Your three pieces of two  will look something like this below:



From here you need to glue the middle halves on one of the other side pieces, making sure you keep the center slit free from glue. Then place glue onto the two halves and place the top piece on. Making sure the egg shape is stacked on straight.


Your layered beads will look something like the picture above and if you look closely you may be able to see the small hole at the ends of the two top beads - A slit big enough to thread some wire through.

From here, I like to paint round the edges of the cardboard layered bead before I place the top and bottom patterned papers on.You can use any colour type of paint you like contrasting or matching your patterned paper outside pieces, it's totally your own choice. I used three pastel colours from the Kaisercraft paint line.

Once the paint on the edges of the beads is dry, I then glue the BoBunny pattern egg shaped paper pieces on the top and bottom of my bead. I then use the Mod Podge Dimensional Magic and place a thin layer around the edge of the bead, lay it down on some baking paper and put some more Mod Podge Dimensional Magic on the flat side of the bead. I usually let it dry for a couple of hours (depending on the weather) and when it's dry I flip the bead over and coat the other side. 


I have used the Dimensional Magic on so many of my handmade beads I really do LOVE  it! Layered beads I have made a couple of years ago are still intact and carry that wonderful shine just from the coating of the Mod Podge Dimensional Magic.


When the bead is completely dry, I used some flat head pins pushed through the inside of the bead and then twisted the overhand around on itself to make a loop, so my bead is completely finished and I am able to string it to some chain to form the dangle.


With this egg shaped bead dangle, I also threaded some round pearly recycled beads at the bottom of the chain just to add a touch of elegance. I am so very happy with the outcome of this bead dangle, it looks so pretty and will be a wonderful addition to my next project, so I hope you pop back to see how it's going to be used.

The video below shows you how to make the egg shaped layered bead. I hope you will give it a go yourself and maybe you will be hooked on making layered beads just as I am...
BEWARE!!! IT IS ADDICTIVE!!!


Have a Great Day!

2 comments:

  1. Wendy, I just love your paper beads and dangle. I am going to make them for sure. Absolutely Beautiful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Wendy, you are right, could be scary with the addiction lol Gorgeous project..xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...