Sunday, June 9, 2019

C is for Cookie - Gina's Altered A4 Exercise Book

Hello Crafty Friends!
Your DIY recipe books don't have to start from scratch.... today Gina shows us how to alter an exercise book to create a beautiful personal recipe book. I love this so much!!!






Winter is officially here and what better theme for winter than Cookies and cooking :) I am already busy looking up recipes for sweet dishes I'd like to bake for my kids.

Onto my project, I have to admit, I am still pretty old school when it comes to keeping recipes, planning my month, record keeping etc. I still like to write everything down so I thought why not alter an exercise book :)

I started with a 128 page A4 exercise book. It measures about 8 1/4" x 11 3/4". I cut a sheet of Authentique Ingredient Six paper at 7 1/2" x 11 3/4". I stuck it on to the cover of the notebook starting at the right end and then inked the top, bottom and right edges with black ink. On the back I used the Authnetique Ingredient One paper which I also cut to 7 1/2" x 11 3/4". I stuck that to the back cover starting from the left end and inked the top, bottom and left edges with black ink. I then cut a piece of Ingredient Two paper at 3" x 11 3/4". I inked all the edges with black ink and then wrapped it around the spine making sure the front and the back aligned.


I then wrapped the blue Santoro Gorjuss ribbon across the front cover where the 2 papers meet. I chose one of the 3x4 cards from the Authentique Ingredient Eleven paper and inked the edges with my black ink. I then cut out a piece of the Bazzill Licorice Twist cardstock at 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" and stuck the card on top of it. I then stuck them in the middle of the front cover.


Now I stopped and had some fun playing with the Tim Holtz Funky Florals die set. I've cut out the flowers in different colours and put them together. I chose brighter colours to go with this lovely collection. I then used my embossing ball stylus tool (also known as a thingy by the creative team) to curl the flowers and leaves.


I layered the flowers and leaves on the bottom and left of the 3x4 card. Some flowers I raised to give it a better effect.


I used another Santoro Gorjuss ribbon, the red and black striped one, which I stuck on the left of the blue ribbon. I then tied a piece of the red and white Sew Easy Fancy Floss bakers twine over the blue ribbon and made a bow. I tied the flour and spoon buttons from the Dress it up Christmas cookies buttons at the ends of the bow.


For the inside of the front cover, I cut the Authentique Ingredient Four paper to 8 1/4" x 11 3/4" and stuck it on the inside. I used the remaining bit of the Ingredient Four paper to make a pocket at the bottom. Since it is double sided paper, I used the other side of the paper. I stuck one of the stickers from the sticker sheet in the middle of the pocket and stuck 2 of the Recipe cards from the Ingredient Ten sheet in the pocket. I also stuck a "simmer down" sticker on the top corner of the page next to it.


For the inside of the back cover, I used the Ingredient Eight paper cut at 8 1/4" x 11 3/4". I used the other side of the same paper to make a pocket at the bottom. I stuck the quote which comes on the bottom of each sheet in the middle of the pocket. I then cut some of the Bazzill Candy Necklace cardstock at about 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" and stuck some of the 3x4 cards on them so you can write your recipes on the back. I put those into the pocket.


I chose a page in the middle of the book and stuck the Ingredient Nine paper on it leaving about 1/8" from the spine so the page is still easy to turn. On the other side of the page I stuck the Ingredient Two paper gluing just the edges of the top, bottom and left side to make a pocket. I then punched out a small bit from the centre with my scallop punch to make it easy to put your recipe cut-outs into the pocket. On the front of the pocket, I stuck a strip of Ingredient Two paper across and a 3x4 card on top of it and on the back, I made another pocket in the middle of the page with one of the cut aparts from the Ingredient Twelve paper.


 I then cut some tabs with some of my off-cuts using the Kaisercraft tab die.


Stick them on the pages you want to make 4 dividers and voila your altered recipe exercise book is ready.


Here's a flipthrough of the altered recipe exercise book.

See you again soon and till then stay awesome
Gina xx

2 comments:

  1. Great idea Gina, I,m going to make one for my daughter. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh I love this!! So simple and a good way to customise to your different needs 👍👍

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...