Monday, February 3, 2020

Heart of Mine: Nat's Shaker Card





Hi everyone 😊 I must admit I was a little discombobulated when I found out the theme 'Heart of Mine' and core product I would be working with for the month of February, as it has been myself, the kids and the dog for so long - Valentine's is quite the foreign concept!!!  However, thankfully I remembered that I have two very good friends getting married later this year, and thought how wonderful it would be to create something to celebrate such a wonderful occasion that I know they would enjoy.
As it is my very first project for Aunty Vera Scrap and Craft, why not undertake more firsts and make a shaker card.  

These are the items I will be using:
* Red and black card stock
* Glue
* Scissors
* Double-sided tape
* Foam mounting tape
* Kaisercraft Decorative Die 'Rose Stem'
* Kaisercraft Decorative Die  'Nesting Scalloped Stitched Hearts'
* Kaisercraft Clear Stamps 'Two Souls'
* Inka Gold 'Lava Red'
* Wink of Stella 'Red'
* White Uniball Signo pen
* Unique 'Confetti' hearts
* Red seed beads
* Acetate

First I used my Big Shot and some deep red and black card stock to cut out beautiful roses and hearts from the Kaisercraft 'Rose Stem' and 'Nesting Scalloped Stitched Hearts' decorative dies.  I always cut more than needed for use in future projects (and in case of booboos 😏).


Next I cut a piece of the red card stock 10" by 6" then scored and folded this in half to form a 5" by 6" card base.  Then I cut a piece of black card stock just a little smaller than the card base front so when stuck on the base the red edges will still peekout (about 1/8" each side).


I grabbed the second smallest heart die and centered it on the black card stock piece to cut a window for the shaker card.


The largest black die-cut heart was then stuck inside the card with double-sided tape to make a lovely spot to write a personalised sentiment on with my white Signo pen. I also used some of the 'Two Souls' stamps to decorate the inside front, and the back of the card - I love this stamp set!!!


A little washi tape was used to hold my card base and top still, to help me position my cute little heart die-cut in place on the card base with double-sided tape.


I removed the washi tape and set about decorating the black card top.  Firstly, I applied the Inka Gold 'Lava Red' with a cotton tip to the edges....


I used my white Signo pen for the sentiments.....


then I coloured the 'Rose Stem' die cut with my Wink of Stella pen to add nice subtle glistening highlights and attached it to the black card topper with a fine tip glue applicator.



And no, the Mrs and Mrs is not a mistake 😏! I flipped the topper over and stuck a piece of acetate to the back with double-sided tape to create my window.


Back to the card base - I stuck a whole heap of foam mounting tape around the love heart to hold in the confetti and seed beads for the shaker, and extra around the edges to help secure the top when placed.  I had previously coloured the side edges of the mounting tape with a black Sharpie pen so when looking at the card side-on the tape would not be so noticeable.  I added a pinch of the Unique 'Confetti' and some seed beads in to the little dam I created around the heart.


Finally, it was time to take the mounting tape backing off and adhere the top, very slowly and carefully placing it so that there were even margins of red card showing on each side.


I love how it turned out and am excited to give my friends something made by me and made with love - very fitting for the monthly theme 'Heart of Mine'!

Please feel free to check out my process video on making this card which can be found here: 


Take care and have fun crafting!!!!
Nat xxx


4 comments:

  1. Well done Nat a beautiful project to start with. 💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Love the intro Nat. I HATE Valentine’s Day and I’ve been married 20 years. Great card 💕

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...