Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Life Within the Seed 2 - Family Fun with Nat: Decorated Easter Eggs




Hi everyone - hope you are well 😊.  We are going through uncertain times at the moment with many shut in at home with kids to keep occupied.  Therefore, I thought I would begin my projects for April and the theme of "Life Within the Seed #2", by decorating some bright and cheerful Easter eggs - a wonderful project for a family to do together.

My first task was to utilise the Lawn Fawn - Outside in Easter Egg Stackables to cut a pile of eggs in white cardstock.  Then I used the Impression Obsession - Mini Bunnies die set to punch a plethora of rabbits in cute little poses, and tufts of grass from coloured cardstocks.



I found these colourful satin paints in my cupboard which were perfect for what I wanted to do and I painted two coats on my eggs for good coverage.  So if you do not have coloured cardstock or paper, grab some paints and make your own, even more fun for the kids to have 😊


Then I painted strips of each colour on another piece of white cardstock.


I went through my punch collection and found some little ones that cut flower, butterfly and circle shapes and set about punching a pile of these out of my coloured card strips.


I felt like a kid again (which isn't necessarily a bad thing 😉) as I adhered these shapes to my painted eggs.  I love how bright and happy these eggs look and plan on using these in a number of ways in an upcoming project.  I tried a few other decorations such as floral napkin, ribbons and gel pens - all great fun for the kids (and big kids like me!).  I even tried some of the Aunty Vera Washi Tape  "Easter Grass" on the bottom of one egg and loved the addition of the grass hidden Easter eggs and pretty little flowers on it.  The words "Happy Easter" on the blue egg came from an Easter tag I had in my stash.


Next I wanted to try some egg shaped cards. To make the bases I folded an A4 piece of white cardstock in half. I then placed the largest Lawn Fawn - Outside in Easter Egg Stackable on top with one side overhanging the fold in the cardstock so that it would leave this part intact as the card fold when cutting.


Here you can see the cutting part overhanging the edge of the fold, leaving a small hinge area.


The result is a cute Easter egg shaped card that can be opened up and written on.



For my first Easter Egg Card front I found some green cardstock and used the second largest Lawn Fawn - Outside in Easter Egg Stackable inside the largest one (as shown below) to cut a green border the same size as the card front.  I also grabbed the  Aunty Vera Washi Tape  "Easter Grass" and Santoro - Leaf ribbons to decorate.



I used an ink blending tool to lightly ink the front of the card base with "Salty Ocean" and "Mowed Lawn" Distress Inks to signify grass and sky, then placed a piece of Aunty Vera Washi Tape  "Easter Grass" near the bottom of the card.  I used glue to adhere the green border to the front of the base and stuck a cute little blue egg (painted previously) in the grass.


I so love the little Impression Obsession - Mini Bunnies die set bunnies and found two to place alongside the egg. I used the grass tufts to stick along the bottom of the border piece. I finished the card off by placing two of my painted and punched butterflies and a strip of the lighter green Santoro - Leaf Ribbon.


For my other decorated egg card I will use the large Lawn Fawn - Outside in Easter Egg Stackable to create a card front from an off-cut of the BoBunny - Garden Grove "Ambiance" paper.  Then I am going to try using Deco Art - Dimensional Effects - Paintable Texture Paste for the first time through this gorgeous Kaisercraft "Flower Bunch" stencil using a palette knife, and I hope it works!


I let it dry overnight (but you could use a heat tool to make it quicker) and this is the outcome.  I love it!!! It looks great just the way it is, but I decided to add some colour....


I could not find my watercolours (hidden away in my messy craft area no doubt!) and decided to use my Distress Inks to paint with.  I grabbed some of the plastic packaging and dabbed the different colours onto this, added a spritz of water to the ink and used an empty water pen to colour the flowers and leaves. A plain paint brush and cup of water would suffice.


I am not the best painter, but I love how this turned out and cannot wait to use more texture paste through stencils in the future.


These projects are simple and fun, and there is something here for all ages to make to keep everyone busy and sane!
Keep an eye out for how I will be using these pieces in future projects this month.

Take care and have fun crafting!
Love Nat xxx

The Aunty Vera Scrap and Craft products used to create these projects are:
  •  Lawn Fawn - Outside in Easter Egg Stackables
  •  Impression Obsession - Rabbit and Grass Tuft Die Set (DIE269-N)
  •  Deco Art - Dimensional Effects - Paintable Texture Paste
  •  Aunty Vera Washi Tape  "Easter Grass"
  •  Santoro - Leaf Ribbons 
  •  Kaisercraft - Mini Designer Template "Flower Bunch"
  •  Bo Bunny - Garden Grove "Ambiance" paper

8 comments:

  1. Love these Nat. Perfect Easter crafts for my girls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Nat now wish I had these dies lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yep - the grass is always greener on the other side when seeing what crafty goodies others are using!

      Delete
  3. What a cute project for the kids right now Nat, love them xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...