Thursday, November 28, 2019

I Think She Was an Aussie - Wendy's G'day Mate Poster Board



G'day Mate Poster Board

It's time to dust off the cobwebs and get some paint on my fingers...!

In this month's Couture Creations Sunburnt Country paper collection, I fell in love with the galahs on the 07A sheet of paper. So, I really wanted to put it on a canvas and keep it to look at forever...heehee! BUT!!!...what does one use when you don't have a canvas laying around...hmmm, it was a dilemma! ...sitting on the side of my table was the Graphic 45 chipboard sheets, hmmm, would they work as a substrate? Well, that is exactly what I was going to use and I have to call it an experiment just in case it doesn't work...lol lol...(spoiler alert- it worked great!)


I cut that gorgeous Galah image out of the paper and grabbed myself a sheet of the Gaphic 45 chipboard and started my 'experiment'

I gave the chipboard a good coat of white gesso from my supplies and let it dry naturally. I wasn't sure if using the heat tool would warp the chipboard, so a good old natural dry was in order.


When the gesso was dry, it was time to add some colour on my substrate.
To start, I placed small dots of Kaisercolor around, really just mixing it up with the colours I chose. Then used my brayer to move all that yummy paint around the board. The kaisercolors I used were olive, dusty pink, sea breeze, yellow and spearmint. I also grabbed two of my Dina Wakley paints which were turquoise and lime.



Below is a picture of the first layer of paints after brayering them on. It looked pretty cool but was a little too boring for my liking, so I needed to add some more layers.


For the next layer of paint, I placed a small amount on my plate and grabbed a plastic card and started scraping some of the original colours on.


I was having so much fun just playing!

I did start to use my heat tool to dry the paint inbetween layers and was quite surprised the Graphic 45 Chipboard wasn't warping. It's pretty hardy to take all that.

Then I felt like scribbling so I used one my black aquarelle pencils and wrote or should I say scribbled a secret message over the painted board.



More 'play' time consisted of using some of my stencils.






...and also a number stencil where I brought in some black paint.


When I was happy with with my layers of paints and stencilling, I used my white signo pen and doodled around some of the stencilled shapes. I do find this to be very relaxing.


It was then time to work a little on the galah image. I used a black marker and went around the edges of the image as you can see below. This also makes your image pop a little off your substrate.



I then used a wet glue to paste the image onto my substrate...it's looking pretty cool now!



The small gap at bottom center was kind of bugging me, so I decided to add a good old Aussie slang 'G'day Mate'. I brushed on a small slither of white paint and pencil drew the outline and then used my black marker to go over it. Then I painted the rest of the wording to make it solid.


I splashed on some splatters in white paint and went round the outside with my black stabillo oil pencil and gave it a smudge with a baby wipe wet finger.

I am so very pleased with how my poster board turned out. I enjoyed experimenting. I had fun getting paint on my hands and I ended up with a gorgeous painting I can treasure forever.

You can watch the full process in the video below:


Have a Great Day!!
Wendy xox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...