Tuesday, November 5, 2019

I Think She Was An Aussie - Wendy's Coloured Flourishes using Alcohol Inks



Colouring Flourishes Using Inks

Oh wow! This is my last official project making month for 2019.
I have totally enjoyed my year of project making for Aunty Vera and after 
feeling rather nervous and exhilerated at the same time not knowing if  anything 
I was going to make would be good enough, especially after seeing what the other extremely
talented ladies in the Creative Team were producing...I honestly didn't think I could do it! But I did!!
I am so grateful to Aunty Vera for giving me this wonderful opportunity and also to 
the other ladies for all their encouragement...thank you all so very very much! xox


I'm starting this month off with a little experiment of sorts and
 I'm really hoping it's going to work out as I've pictured it in my mind...
This is a fun and easy way to add a little colour to your wooden flourishes and is not really a project per se but they could also be made into charms for keyrings if taken a step further. I am using these flourishes to add to journal pages using a bulb pin.

 I'm using the Kaisercraft Under the Gum leaves Mini Flourish Set and some alcohol inks from Tim Holtz. I wear some rubber gloves to protect my hands from the ink, that I know I will spill at some point...lol...


I chose the flourish piece I wanted to colour and then I added a very small drop of ink to it and let the ink run along the grain of the wood. It really coudn't get easier than that, could it?
Some times a little too much ink was added and it went onto the back of the flourish which only gave me a start to colouring the other side of the piece.


The above picture is a two-toned echidna to which I have added ink
 to both sides. It gives it a lovely splotchy effect.

After leaving the inked flourish pieces to dry. I then used a very small drill bit in my hand drill to place some holes in the animal pieces. This is where I can place a bulb pin through the piece, making it a small dangling charm for my journals.

Once I had drilled the holes in each piece, I then gave them all a coating of ...yes, you guessed it!...my favourite Dimensional Magic...

This not only gives each piece a protective coat but also a wonderful lustre.



After each piece had dried from the Dimensional Magic, I then placed a bulb pin through the hole I had previously drilled and they were ready for my next project.

 Just note: you can use this process but only do one side and leave the other side blank which enables you to glue the on to your project.

I think, after colouring and adding Dimensional Magic to each piece,
 my favourite one was the Koala on the branch followed closely behind by the emu.

Experiment Successful!...and enjoyed myself  which is even more important...

The video below shows my process...



Hope you enjoyed this small but fun colouring process for the flourishes and don't forget to pop back later in the month to see how I have used them.

Have a Great Day !
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...