Monday, September 21, 2020

"My Island Home" - Nat's Colouring Embellishments





Hi everyone, hope you are all fit and healthy 😊

It is time for my next Aunty Vera Scrap and Craft Creative Team project for September.  I wanted to colour some embellishments to have ready for use in up-coming projects. I am not good at colouring or painting but decided to have a play with the products and learn along the way!

Firstly, I wanted to colour the Kaisercraft "Native Breeze" Wooden Flourishes.  I had only ever tried this with acrylic paints before so decided to use a few different methods this time.  I lay out my chosen flourishes onto some watercolour paper to catch any spray-off.  Some of these I had painted a coat of white gesso on and others I left plain. I grabbed my Distress Oxide Sprays "Gathered Twigs" and "Bundled Sage", then set about spraying the kookaburra and gumnuts with the brown and the leaves with green. 

 

I found I preferred the plain flourishes with the oxide rather than the ones I had added gesso to, as the wood grain effect showed through more and the colours were richer.  I also used some of my die-cut negatives to create a stenciled effect which I love!  The muted colour of the oxides on the paper and flourishes is perfect for the embellishments I have in mind and the background paper and die-cut negatives caught the bulk of the spray making them perfect for further embellishment making also.

I used my Couture Creations stamps and dies on some of the sprayed background paper to create more green and brown plants and kookaburras.


Next I wanted some brighter coloured wooden flourishes so I decided to try some brush markers on them - the greens, red and orange were nice and vibrant, perfect for my needs.

I wanted to do a pile of stamping with the gorgeous Australian-themed stamps that were included in my chosen products for the month, including the Couture Creations - Sweeping Plains "Kookaburra" and "Eucalyptus" Stamp and Die Sets and the Couture Creations - Sunburnt Country "Protea" and "Warratah Postage Stamp".  These I stamped on to scraps of cardstock using Archival Inks so that they wouldn't run if using other mediums over the top.

Next the stamped images needed some colour.  For this I used my brush markers on the flowers to get bright and vibrant pictures, then I tried using distress inks and a water pen to colour the kookaburra.  I see a lot of colouring on the horizon!

 

Here I have included just some of the bits and pieces I have created and coloured, and added them to the ready-made Couture Creations Die Cut Ephemera from the Sweeping Plains collection to show what I have gathered to make some wonderful embellishment pieces for my future projects.  So stay tuned to see what I do with these items......

I had so much fun experimenting with colouring these pieces, especially trying out the oxide sprays for the first time and I am looking forward to trying other techniques with them in the future.  For now I am off to begin creating with all of these goodies.

Happy crafting and stay safe,
Love Nat xxx  

Here is a video including my process in colouring these pieces:


Aunty Vera Scrap and Craft products on sale that I am using for the month of September are:

Couture Creations - Sweeping Plains Collection papers:

  - 01 (CO727968)

  - 02 (CO727969) 

  - 03 (CO727970)

  - 04 (CO727971)

  - 05 (CO727972) 

  - 06 (CO727973)

  - 07 (CO727974)

  - 08 (CO727975)

  - 09 (CO727976)

  - 10 (CO727977)

  - 11 (CO727978)

  - 12 (CO727979)

Couture Creations - Sweeping Plains Collection:

  - Die-cut Ephemera Set

  - Stamp and Die Set - Eucalyptus

  - Stamp and Die Set - Kookaburra

Couture Creations - Sunburnt Country Collection:

  - Acrylic Stamp - Protea

  - Acrylic Stamp - Warratah Postage Stamp

Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Sprays:

  - Gathered Twigs

  - Bundled Sage

Kaisercraft Wooden Flourish Pack 

  - Native Breeze

4 comments:

  1. Nat these turned out wonderful and will be so handy ready made for projects xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, I have been having a lot of fun using them :)

      Delete
  2. Everything looks great...you've done a fantastic job with your colouring...thank you for the ideas for colouring the Kaisercraft tiny wood flourishes which I've got dozen of & wasn't sure what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nettie, I was the same! I have heaps of these flourishes and had only ever painted them with acrylic before so it was fun to experiment a little. I love the washed out colour of the oxides on them :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...