Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Do You Remember - NSD 2020 - Sue's My Memories Journal




For my challenge I decided to do a memory journal.  The idea is that it is a snapshot of you (the crafter) as you are right now.  It is a place where you can write, put photographs of things that are important to you right this minute.  Something you can look at in the future and have a laugh (or cry when you see how much weight you have put on) about. A place to store those little bits of information that might be different in a years time, like your favourite food or current crafting obsession.


To begin you need to make a journal. 
I used the following items.
Everlasting Paper Pack from Kaisercraft
Sew Easy fancy floss by We are Memory Keepers
Recycled cardboard packaging

I started with a small cardboard box that was a good size. You could also cut down a cereal box or use some other cardboard to make the cover. I opened it and cut it down to the size I wanted.







The next step is to choose the paper you want for the cover and cut it to fit. I choose Amore from the Everlasting paper pack.  I cut two pieces that were about a centimetre bigger on the top, bottom and side so that they could be folded over to make a nice edge.



I then put double sided tape around the edges of the outside front cover.



The next step was to attach the (Amore) paper, making sure there was about a centimetre overlapping to fold over.    I used double sided tape to attach the paper to the inside cover.





Then cut a strip of paper for the spine,  I used the reverse side of the Amore paper. It needs to be the length plus 2 centimetres long and wide enough to cover the spine with about 3 centimetres overlap.  Attach it with double sided tape. 









To cover the inside cover I used the flower side of the Blushing paper.  I cut one piece to fit across the inside of the cover and used two sticker strips to fill in the small space left.  This may not be necessary if your journal is narrower than mine.




Time to decorate the front cover.  I used some of the stickers from the Everlasting paper pack sticker sheet, some vintage lace and curtain lace.  I also added a strip of sticker pearls from my stash.



To make the signatures you will need to choose the papers you wish. I choose 1 page of each of the following from the paper pack; Blushing, Flowers, You and me,  Bloom and XO.  Each page will need to be cut down to fit inside the cover allowing each page to be folded in half.  



The signature is then sewn into the cover using a 3 hole pamphlet stitch.  Use a template to make sure the holes in the cover match the holes in the signature.




Using the green thread from the Sew Easy fancy floss pack I began in the centre hole, poking from the inside to the outside. Then back in the outside top hole right down to the bottom inside hole.  Then back to the outside middle hole.  Be careful not to poke through the thread already there.  Making sure your two ends are either side of the thread tie a double (or triple) knot.

I finished my journal with a label on the front and a corner folded pocket on the front inside cover.





Your journal is now ready to add photos, pockets and tags, journaling spots or any other things you wish to add that reflect you at this time.
Please see my Youtube channel for a process video on how I made my journal and what I add to the journal.
Enjoy preserving your memories. 
And Go Team Sue!   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...