Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Do You Remember - NSD 2020 - Wendy's Free Spine Journal



Free Spine Journal

This project is about making a journal you can put and keep in your Keepsake Box you made previously. A special journal with a different type of spine. The signatures aren't sewn in the actual spine cover, they are sewn together independent of the spine cover. They are attached to the back inside of the journal cover. So, when you are working in this journal, no matter what page you are working on, the journal will always lay flat. I love working in these spine free journals and hope you will make one for yourself and enjoy working in it as well.


I start by making my cover. I cut the cover base from Graphic 45 chipboard; two pieces at 6 1/2 inches by 5 inches and the spine piece is cut at 6 1/2 inches by 1 inch. I then glued them to a sheet of the Full Bloom Graphic 45 patterned paper. Leaving about an 1/8th of an inch gap near the spine sides and folding over about an inch around each edge.



I then cut another piece of Graphic 45 patterned paper, Little Women sheet, using the reverse side for the inside cover. Then let the wet glue dry.


While the cover was drying, I measured and cut the pages for my signature. I made four signatures with the cover of each signature being from one of the Graphic 45 Little Woman patterned papers and then for the other pages I used papers I had from my own supplies.


Four signatures stacked ready

I placed my papers inside each signature cover, in any order then I cut two flap papers, one for the first signature and one for the last signature. 


 The 'flap papers' both serve a purpose with binding the signatures together.

First signature and last signature with 'flap papers'.

When I have my signatures organised with their 'flap papers' on, I cut five lengths of the Butterfly American Crafts Ribbon at seven inches long. This ribbon is great to use for this type of binding as it is very sturdy and will not frey. It was a little too bright so I rubbed some vintage ink over it just to dull it down to a more vintage look.


Now, using the first 'flap paper' from the first signature: I placed a very small amount of glue in five equal places on the small part of the flap and placed the ribbon on. The glue is to hold the ribbon in place so I could sew it easier.


 I then used a zig-zag stitch and sewed the ribbon in place.



When my ribbon has been sewn on, I grab a piece of scrap cardboard, fold it in half and mark out each side of the ribbon, so I know where my holes will be going for each signature. 
I get my first signature ready with the flap paper on it. Starting from the bottom inside,, I push my needle with crochet thread on it out and over the ribbon and then through the hole to the inside. I knot this first stitch firmly and then carry on by going in and out over the ribbon and back in, until I have sewn through all my made holes. Then I tie a knot at the top and the first signature has been sewn together.

Showing the inside stitching of the first signature

I clamp the next signature onto the first signature and then repeat the steps. I use my template to mark my holes and then sewn the pages together as in the first signature. Making sure I always go over the ribbon on the outside, of each of the signatures.

 When the last signature has been sewn over the ribbon, I glue down the remaining ribbon to the back outside flap paper of the last signature. This is then glued to the inside back cover and left to dry.

Showing the four signatures after sewn together and glued to the inside back cover

Now it was time to decorate the journal. I used a crochet ribbon as a closure and one of the Little Women Journaling cards (reverse side) on the front. Placed some black card stock under it. I placed some letter stickers on the front (from my supplies) and placed the Bo Bunny Once Upon A Lifetime Layered Chipboard piece up the top. I also punched a hole at the top of the spine and used an eyelet to hang a metal fob watch and tassle from it. 


This is going to make a wonderful place to jot down all those little memories from my daughter's childhood and I can add some pictures throughout it as well. It can then be placed in the Keepsake Box as something very special to treasure.

You can view the full process in the video below:


I hope you will make one of these 'spine free' journals for yourself and fill it with all the memories you have been keeping, in thought, into something more physical you can enjoy forever.

Wendy
xox

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...