Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Songs about Rainbows - Wendy's Popcorn Boxes


Popcorn Boxes

'A special treat for the grandkids' sleepovers'





Hello Everyone,
This month we were given the Magical Forest paper collection by Crate Paper and as soon as I saw it, I thought...oooo, I'm going to have to make something for my grandchildren. The paper collection is so gorgeous and whimsical. I was racking my brain...what to make...what to make....and then I went to the cupboard to make myself a cuppa and saw the popcorn packet sitting there, staring at me!...lol...yep, that's it! The grandkids need their own popcorn containers and that will stop all the bickering of who ate the last piece while sharing out of the big bowl....
  

I started by making my own template for one side of the container. I drew two horizontal lines on a piece of photocopy paper 15cm apart for the height of the container. On the top line, I marked a line 11cm long and then drew two vertical lines at either side of the 11cm line. I centered a 9cm line on the bottom horizontal line and then drew a line from each point...11cm left side to 9cm left side and then 11cm right side to 9cm right side. This gave me the size of one panel for my popcorn box.


I then traced around the one panel onto a piece of cardboard and place my template next to the first traced panel and traced around that, giving me the first half of my popcorn box. (NOTE: these will be at a slight angle). I added a one centimetre flap to one side and also on one of the bottom panels. This will allow me to put the two halves together. I repeated this process again until I had another half. On the bottom of the second half, I added a small box, 9cm in width and 10cm in length. The extra 1cm is the flap to attach the bottom together.

When both the halves of the box were made, I used some cardboard from my supplies and cut and traced around my templates. I used a pink for Brippa's, a blue for Sammy's and a mustard colour for Ryan's. Because of the size of the container, I could only fit a half on each piece of 12x12 cardboard. So for the bases you will need two 12x12 pieces of cardboard.



I used the very edge of my score board to score where the folds needed to go and the flap folds as well. Shown below.



Then I used double-sided tape to put my popcorn boxes together, each of the sides and the bottom.


I think the base of the popcorn boxes turned out great, now it was time to jazz it up.




I also made a template about 1cm smaller in size, the same shape as my very first template and used that to trace around on the Magical Forest Collection papers. I used 'Sunlight' for Brippa's decorative panels with the gorgeous rainbows on it.


To get the scallop shape on the top. I drew a line about a centimeter down from the top and then used a five cent piece, traced around it and it gave me a lovely decorative edge. Shown Below...


I inked all edges of the cut decorative panels as well as the edges of the cardboard bases. I love inking edges.



I attached the decorated panels on the bases with some double-sided tape and a splash of wet glue.




For added decoration I used the 3 x 4 cut aparts from The Magical Forest paper collection 'Willow'. I placed them on a cardboard mat using the corresponding colour of each popcorn box.




Decorated with the 'B' for Brippa (Bridgette).



On the reverse side of the 'B' I placed another cut out of the rabbit from the 'Critters' paper. I cut it in an oval shape and then backed it onto a piece of the pink cardboard.
I wanted to make it more personalized so I cut out their names or nickname from black cardboard and used the Grunge Die set from Kaisercraft.



Below is the front and back pictures of the popcorn holder  I made for Ryan. I used the fox on the front from the 'Critters' paper. The decorative paper used on Ryan's is 'Garden' 


And the 'F' with fox from the "Willow' paper.



The decorative paper used on Sammy's is the reverse side of the 'Critters' paper, a beautiful shade of bluey/grey. I have used the teddy from 'Critters' also.



And the bear as a decorative image from 'Willow' paper.


I love the way they all turned out and they are just the right size to fill each one from one packet of popped popcorn. When I fill them with popcorn, I place a large plastic freezer bag inside each container. I thought this might make them reusable and the plastic bag will keep the oil from soaking into the cardboard.



Below are my gorgeous grandkids using their popcorn boxes, having an afters chool snack at nan and pa's place. The containers were a huge hit with them...



Sammy and Brippa above, Ryan below...



I thoroughly enjoyed making this project and now there won't be any more bickering as to who ate the last piece of popcorn...LOL

You can watch a video process below:


Thanks for stopping by and you all have a great day!
Wendy xox

5 comments:

  1. I am so going to do this for my five grandkids Wendy. They love popcorn and we have it every weekend. Brilliant idea and these are great. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Donna, I'm sure your grandbabies will love them xox

      Delete
  2. That is sooo cute and personalised 😻

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love seeing projects that get used, great idea Wendy xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...