Thursday, August 13, 2020

Song about Rainbows - Wendy's Skinny Notebooks


Skinny Notebooks

This is a project that had been sitting in my To-Do List for quite sometime and I thought now was the time to bring it together after seeing these gorgeous Magical Forest Papers from Crate Paper. This project was inspired by The Posh Paper Lady on Youtube and I thank her for giving easy to follow instructions on how to make them. You can pop them in your handbag and carry them with you, very practical.


I started with some A4 size notepads, that I had purchased from our local Kmart. you can get a pack of three for around five dollars. pretty cheap! With one of the pads, I used a metal ruler and a cutting blade and cut through the pad at 7 1/2cm width and 18cm in length. This gave me two smaller notepads the same and another a little thinner.



After I had cut the notepads to size, I cut the cover for them. I used some chipboard (which can also be purchased from Aunty Vera Scrap and Craft) and cut two pieces at 8cm in width and 18cm in length. Then a smaller strip for the spine at 1cm width and 18cm length. For the patterned paper on the outside I used the Magical Forest Discover paper.



I placed double-sided tape on each panel of chipboard and then placed them on the reverse of the 'Discover' patterned paper. When placing them on your paper, make sure you leave about 2mm space between each piece. This makes it easier to fold at the sides of the spine.


Leave about 2cms around the edges of the chipboard because you use this to fold over on all sides. I used double-sided tape to adhere the folded edges over. I also mitred the corners and left about 2mm space, not cutting the triangle right at the corner.


When you have glued the side flaps down, I grab my bone folder and gentle mark a line on either side of the spine top and bottom, which will make it easier to fold.
I then cut a piece of patterned paper for the inside of the cover from the reverse side of  the 'Imaginary" paper. To do this, I just place my paper over the inside cover and use a pencil to mark where it needs to be cut. Then cut it using the pencil marks.
 

When I put the inside pattered paper on, I used a metal ruler to gentle fold each side of the spine. You do this as slowly as possible holding firmly down on the ruler with one hand and gently pushing up the front and then back panel.

I wanted a simple closure on the notebook so I punched a hole on the back, threaded some black elastic through the hole and then placed an eyelet in the hole and used my cropodile to secure the eyelet. I measured the elastic before hand so I knew how much to use by slipping it over the top of the notebook.
It made a wonderful simple closure.


When the cover was finished, it was time to adhere the note pad to the inside of the cover.



I used double-sided tape on the back of the notepad to adhere it to the inside back cover and when placing it down, made sure to cover the hole of the eyelet. So close to the outside edge as possible.
I wanted to add some sort of small pocket to the front inside of  the notebook and the Mini Envelope Die from Kaisercraft was a perfect fit. So I cut two out using my Big Shot.


I folded the envelopes up using the premarked fold lines from the die and I then cut the top flap of each envelope off because I wanted the envelopes left open.



I used double-side tape and a splash of wet glue to adhere the envelopes to the front inside cover. They look so cute and will be useful if I want to place a receipt in them after I've done my shopping.



Below shows the envelopes inside the smaller of the three skinny notebooks.The paper used for this one was 'Wildflower' from The Magical Forest Collection on the outside and the inside paper used was the reverse side of the 'Meadow' paper. This one was also decorated with a strip of the 'Wildflower' paper folded over the notepad itself and then I placed a label sticker on it from the 'Magical Forest Sticker Sheet'.


To finish decorating this Skinny Notebook, I used a cut out from the 'Willow" 12x12 paper sheet with the mushroom images on it. Love how it looks!


Back view of the Skinny Notebook.

Showing the three Skinny Notebooks I made from one width of the large notepad.



Inside view of the third notebook decorated with some of the BoBunny clear stickers, so cute.


I hope you enjoyed this project and make some for yourself. Don't forget Christmas is just around the corner and these would make a perfect Christmas Gift for a special someone.

You can view a process video below:



Don't forget to pop over to Aunty Vera Scrap and Craft and check out all the discounted items for the month of August and also have a squizzy at all the new and restocked items she has instore.
You all have a great day! 
Wendy xox

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...