Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Like a Modern Man - My grandfather (Abuelo) layout by Aussie Scrapper

Hello Crafty Friends!
Silvia (Aussie Scrapper) has a great project for us today - a scrapbooking layout of her grandfather....... such a perfect use of the papers from this month's theme!






Hello everyone and I am so grateful to Vera for this month's wonderful paper collection from Couture Creations.  The collection is called "Gentleman's Emporium", and as soon as I saw this collection I started thinking of my heritage and my grandfather.  I knew I had a photo of my grandfather, taken when he was young, so off I went, on an adventure that in the end involved the whole family in three different parts of the world (isn't facebook a wonderful tool).  Everyone had different stories to tell and I found out he was born in 1899.  I also discovered he loved to Tango - something I never knew about him - and now I know where my love of music and dance comes from, yes I love to Tango and learnt the wonderful dance in my single years.

On to the layout, of course I started with my photo of my young grandfather.


Next step, as usual, took a while as I decided what papers to choose.  In the end, I picked one sheet of paper but I used both sides. 



I cut the this into two strips.  A  5"  and the second strip is 7".


I used distress oxide ink in the colour Vintage Photo to ink all four sides of each piece of paper and then I glued these papers on to a 12x12 beige card stock that was part of our evil enabler products for the month of September.   To join these two paper together I  got some washi tape from my stash and ran it straight down the join.


My next idea was to cut out a filmstrip using my silhouette machine. I picked my paper and set the silhouette machine to work.


Time to work on my photos. To frame my photo I matted it with some brown cardstock. Just a small 1mm matt. I then chose another of the Gentleman's Emporium papers and I cut a second larger matt. I distressed all the edges, to give it more of an old look.  Once again I used my Vintage Photo distress oxide to ink the edges.


I wanted this layout to represent my grandfather and to showcase what he liked and loved about his life. From the collection, I fussy cut a pocket watch because he wore a pocket watch.


I knew he enjoyed a whiskey or two and one of the papers from this collection featured a whiskey ad with an emblem that said 1897.  My grandfather, I learnt, was born in1899 so very appropriate I thought.
I knew he liked soccer but he loved music and the tango, so using my silhouette machine I cut out a silhouette of a couple dancing the tango.


To highlight the area around my photo. I did a bit of mixed media.  I took my distress oxide in Vintage Photo and shaded the area and then I got out a music stamp I had in my stash and I stamped music notes all around, representing my grandfather's love of music which he passed onto me. I glued everything down and added my title "Mi Abuelo" and his name... Abuelo is Spanish for grandfather.
I also added a bit of journaling about his passions in life.


Thank you for joining me on my trip down my family history as I discovered the man that was my grandfather.  

Remember that you too can get this gorgeous collection which for the month of September Aunty Vera has at great prices. Hop along to her website  and check it out.






1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...