Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Like a Modern Man - Wendy's Magnetic Photo Frames

Hello Crafty Friends!
Let's get our boy themed month started.... with a wonderful tutorial from Wendy for a set of magnetic photo frames. These are so lovely and could be made to suit any theme or occasion....





Magnetic Photo Frames

Today I have a wonderful project that can be made to give to the male in your life. With Fathers' Day in September here in Australia, I had been wanting to make my lovable son-in-law a very special gift. So, I came up with these adorable handmade photo frames.

The pictures I chose had meaning to my son-in-law and I'm pretty sure he is going to treasure his Fathers' Day gift forever.


What I used:
*Your choice of  3x4 in. photo
*Gentlemans Emporium Paper Collection by Couture Creations
*Cardboard (I recycled some scrap cardboard)
*Ruler and Blade for cutting
*Tim Holtz Paper String
*Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
*Stazon Rusty Brown
*28 Lilac Lane Embellishment Bottle


Let's get started:
Using my photo as a guide for my measurements. I placed it down on my scrap cardboard and cut a rectangle shape out about a quarter of an inch wider than the original photo size. Slightly larger at the bottom, so I could add some embellishments.


Then using my ruler and pencil, I marked the inside frame; where I measured in about 1cm from the edge all around the sides. I then cut the inside rectangle shape out thus giving me my frame. As seen below.



I cut the exact shape from a piece of the Gentlemans' Emporium patterned paper and used a wet glue to stick this to my cardboard template.


I then turned this frame over and placed double-sided tape over the edges and this was then adhered to my picture.







I embellished the front of my frame with a strand of the Tim Holtz paper string. Which I might add, is great to use. I found it very flexible with a soft feel to it. I placed this as a border around the inside edge of my frame. I added a bow and also glued on a few buttons from the 28 Lavender Lane embellishment bottle. I then gave each of my frames a coat of the Mod Podge Dimensional Magic, mainly to protect the paper frame and then left them overnight to dry.


I also used the Rusty Brown Stazon in to edge around the frames and I also hand wrote a few sayings on some labels (from my own supplies). 

When the Dimensional Magic was dry, I then placed some wet glue on the back of my framed picture and adhered it to my sheet of magnet...ready to be placed front and center on a fridge.



I absolutely love the way my magnetic photo frames turned out and I thoroughly enjoyed making them for my son-in-law for Fathers' Day. I think I may find it hard parting with them...heehee...but I still have some magnet strip left and that gorgrous Gentlemans' Emporium paper collection, so I know I can make a few more for myself, to put on my fridge.









I hope you enjoyed this fun tutorial.



If you like, you can watch the full tutorial in the video below.


You all have a good day!
Wendy xox

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...