Friday, May 10, 2019

NSD 2019 Challenge - Gina's Junk Journal - decorating the cover and some pages

Hello Crafty Friends!
Here is Team Gina's final bit of inspiration for your junk journals... decorating the cover... and a few ideas for some gorgeous pages.





Hey everyone how is everyone going with their junk journal challenge? Let me quickly remind everyone, the challenge is to make a junk journal, so you could either do your own thing or follow along with my tutorials but the important thing is to have 2 layout pages with photographs and journaling. They can be hardcover, softcover, 1 signature or more and bound any way you like.

Continuing from my last post we are now ready to decorate the journal cover. I have cut the Botanist paper from the Anthology collection to 4.9" x 7.5" and the Ephemera paper to 4.8"x 7.4". I have cut the Ephemera paper so that I could have the bird in the right corner as I wanted that to be my feature.


I am using the green side of the Botanist paper which I have stuck onto the cover and then I have layered the Ephemera paper on top of it. I love this paper so much I was tempted to just leave it as is but I am also very fidgety :)


I took a piece of lace trim from my stash and stuck it on the top edge of the cover. I've stuck the bookplate die cut and the love die cut from the collectables in the middle and on the bottom left corner I have stuck those gorgeous Prima Heaven Sent flowers. You can't see the shine much on the pictures or the video but they have glitter on them and the best part is no matter how much you fiddle with them it doesn't come off on your hands.


So now that our cover is done it is time to decorate your pages. I have done a few to give you some ideas. To start with I made some envelopes from some of the 6x6 papers. I also used the Tim Holtz stitched slots die to make some slots.


I have used the botanist envelope to make a flip out on one of my pages. I stuck the flap on gluing a line towards the centre so that the flap could be a tuck spot as well. This would probably make more sense if you watched the video. So on one side of the page the envelope flap is a tuck spot and on the other side its a flip out.


I wanted to make a flip out with the stitched slots as well so I backed it on to one of my off-cuts. I then used another off-cut to make a hinge. I cut that at 3 3/4'' x 3/4'' and folded it in half lengthwise to make the hinge. I then stuck one side to my slots and another to the page I wanted it on to make a flip out.


On one page I used the AVSC Vintage Floral washi tape. Just one strip on the side was enough to pretty the page up.


The 6x6 paper pad had a page with these lovely border die cut elements that you can pull out so I used one of those as a tuck spot on another page.


All of the papers that came in the Anthology collection had beautiful phrases on the bottom strip. I kept one aside that I loved for my signature cover. I cut it up and backed it on the buttercup cardstock and then stuck it on to the first page.


So there you have it, a simple 1 signature journal, 28 pages and because we have tied the string around instead of stitching them in, they can be interchanged. They make great monthly planners too if you add another sheet of paper to make it 32 pages.

I cannot wait to see everyone's junk journals.

GO TEAM GINA

1 comment:

  1. I just found your site for the first time. I feel like I won the lottery!!! I've wanted to start a junk journal but wasn't sure how to start. I'm grabbing a big mug of tea and spending the next few hours (if not more) reading your site. I'm so glad you're here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...