Sunday, May 5, 2019

Photographs and Brightly Coloured Paper - NSD 2019 - Gina's Junk Journal Challenge

Hello Crafty Friends!
Today we introduce Gina's Challenge - a junk journal! What a fabulous way of recording your memories and all the bits of ephemera that come with them. Go Team Gina!





I have enjoyed playing along in the NSD challenges the past few years but I never thought that I'd be one of the ladies hosting a challenge and I'm thrilled to bits :)

I have always kept a journal as long as I can remember. I've written down my thoughts, exciting things that happened, stuck stubs from tickets, cards, notes and always decorated them with stickers and anything else that I could find. I have a really bad memory so I have always enjoyed going back and reading them. When I discovered junk journals I was so excited because I got to make the journals that I wanted to write in. Sounds perfect doesn't it?

So my challenge for you is to make a junk journal. It can be any size although I'd prefer if it was at least 4x6 inches. You can bind it anyway you like and have 1 or more signatures but I would like you to include 2 pages you have journalled in and put photos in as part of the challenge. I will be sharing a few techniques as I put my journal together so you can either follow along with me or do your own thing. I am so excited and cannot wait to see what you come up with. Apart from Vera's prizes I will also be giving away a junk journal pack made up of papers, ephemera, napkins etc to a random person who enters the challenge.

I will be making a junk journal with 3 signatures and I like to make the covers of the signatures interactive so I will show you the process of how I made one of them.

I started with the Kaisercraft "Anthology - Botanist" 12x12 paper and cut it down to 7 3/4". I then scored it, with the 12 inch facing the top, at 5 and 10 inches and folded it to make the base.


I then chose 2 papers from the 6x6 Kaisercraft Anthology paper pad to make flaps on the inside left page. The page that I chose for the top flap, I cut at 4'' x 4.75". I then scored 1/2 inch from the top and folded it. The bottom flap, I cut at 5 1/2" x 4.75" and scored 1/2 inch from the bottom and folded.


I rounded the corners of the bottom of the top flap and the top of the bottom flap with my corner rounder and stuck them onto the left page to make flaps.


I cut the remaining strip of the Botanist paper at 4.75 inches to make a pocket that I then stuck on to the page under the bottom flap. I then stuck a magnet on the top of the pocket in the centre and stuck one of the Kaisercraft Anthology Collectable die cuts over it.


I had a metal trinket in my stash which I then stuck on the top flap directly above the magnet to make a magnetic closure. I cut two pieces of orange cardstock at 4 3/4" x 4.65" and 3.3" x 4.65" and rounded the corners. I then stuck them on the insides of the flaps to make photo mats or journalling spots. The 2 inch flap on the right, I punched the edge with my Martha Stewart punch and then stuck the top and bottom to make a tuck spot.


Now for the back, I decided to make a waterfall feature. I cut 4 pieces of kaisercraft Buttercup cardstock from my stash at 4" x 4 1/4" and scored the 4" side at 1/2" and folded them. I then rounded the corners of all 4 of them.


I cut a piece of ribbon at about 10 inches which I am going to use as a closure. I then stuck the cards one below the other to make a waterfall over one edge of the ribbon. I stuck a velcro dot at the end to hold the ribbon closed over the cards and stuck a flower from my stash over it.


I then cut 4 pieces of paper from the 6x6 paper pad at 3 1/4 x 4 inches and stuck them over the cards to make photo mats.


So you have the cover of 1 signature ready. Here's the video of me putting it together. Stay tuned for more tutorials and do join my challenge :)
Please don't forget - to be eligible for the draw your challenge entry must be posted in my special Challenge Album in our facebook group

GO TEAM GINA


Products I'm playing with this month

3 comments:

  1. Oh I adore your paper collection for this junk journal. Can’t wait to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this junk journal. I would love to participate, but will depend on my energy levels. Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Gina, I will be making this one for sure. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...